Who's who in apprenticeships and traineeships
Department of Education and Training
The department is responsible for managing the apprenticeship and traineeship system in Queensland under the Further Education and Training Act 2014 (FET Act).
The department has regional offices throughout the state to provide information and assistance on all aspects of vocational education and training. It assists all parties to meet their obligations, from the commencement of the training contract through to the completion of the apprenticeship or traineeship.
During the apprenticeship or traineeship, the department can:
- work cooperatively with stakeholders to achieve outcomes they are seeking from the apprenticeship or traineeship
- educate parties about obligations under the training contract
- administer changes to the training contract
- process travel and accommodation subsidies for apprentices and trainees
- provide financial assistance for cancelled apprentices and trainees
- support apprentices and trainees with a disability.
For further information, support or advice, phone the department through Apprenticeships Info on 1800 210 210.
Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) providers
The Australian Apprenticeship Support Network provides advice and support services for employers, apprentices and trainees. Services include:
- providing information on apprenticeships and traineeships suitable for a workplace
- conducting an induction with the employer and apprentice or trainee
- assistance with completing, lodging and updating the training contract
- providing information and assistance with Commonwealth and state incentives
- providing support through mentoring.
Find the AASN provider closest to you by phoning 13 38 73, or visit the Australian Apprenticeship Support Network website.
Supervising registered training organisations
Once a registered training organisation is chosen, and agrees, to deliver the training and assessment for an apprenticeship or traineeship, it then becomes the 'supervising registered training organisation' (also known as SRTO or your training organisation/provider). The training organisation works with employers and apprentices/trainees to develop a training plan, deliver off-the-job training, support the employer in delivering on-the-job training, undertake assessment and issue the qualification upon successful completion of the apprenticeship or traineeship
Read the ATIS-043 Registered training organisations (supervising) information sheet.
Group training organisations
Group training organisations (also known as GTOs or group schemes) employ apprentices and trainees and place them with different host employers on a short or long-term basis.
Group training organisations may:
- screen and recruit apprentices and trainees
- handle the administrative requirements (including payment of wages, superannuation, etc) of apprenticeships and traineeships
- arrange the off-the-job training components of apprenticeships and traineeships.
To find a GTO in your area, contact the Apprentice Employment Network on 1800 819 747.
The Apprentice Employment Network brings together GTOs from throughout Queensland and the Northern Territory to provide quality employment and training to apprentices and trainees.
Where apprentices or trainees are employed by a group training organisation, they will be placed with host employers to develop the skills necessary for their apprenticeship or traineeship.
Hiring an apprentice or trainee from a group training organisation enables host employers to participate in the employment and training of apprentices and trainees to suit their business needs.
Parent or guardian
If an apprentice or trainee is under 18 years of age and in the care and control of a parent or legal guardian when they enter into an apprenticeship or traineeship, the parent or guardian will have obligations in relation to the training contract.
Read the ATIS-020 Parent or guardian responsibilities information sheet.
In the case of a school-based apprentice or trainee, the school must approve and be involved in the apprenticeship or traineeship. The school's involvement includes:
- Negotiating a schedule of education, training and employment with the training organisation, the employer and the school-based apprentice or trainee. The schedule outlines when the school-based apprentice or trainee is at school, at work, or attending training.
- Helping the school-based apprentice or trainee to modify their school timetable to include time for working with the employer and training with the training organisation.
- Providing support to the school-based apprentice or trainee throughout the school-based apprenticeship or traineeship.