​​​​​​​​​​FAQs for apprentic​​es and trainees

I want to become an appr​​entice or trainee. Can Apprenticeships Info (the department) help me find an employer?

The short answer is no. Apprenticeships Info operates as an information and referral service and does not have the capacity to match potential apprentices and employers. We do, however, offer tips on how to find an employer in the Apprentices section of this website.

How can I find out ab​out wages and pay levels?

If you would like to find out what your wage is or when you will progress to your next pay level, you will need to phone Fair Work Ombudsman on 13 13 94. The Department of Employment, Small Business and Training does not have authority to advice on wages and entitlements.

To assist in getting the correct information, Fair Work provides a checklist of information you need before you call.

Will I be paid fo​​r the time I spend undertaking supervised training?

Yes you will. Supervised training is commonly referred to as off-the-job training delivered by your training organisation. Under the requirements of the training contract, all employers must release their apprentice or trainee from work and pay the appropriate wage to attend any off-the-job training (including assessment) as provided for in the training plan.

Learn more about paying apprentices and trainees for supervised training.

Please note that school-based apprentices and trainees may not be paid for this time with the training organisation. Phone Fair Work Ombudsman on 13 13 94 to find out more about this.

Is there any further fi​nancial support available for me?

While there are some costs involved in completing an apprenticeship or traineeship, financial support may be available to help with these costs. Find out what financial support is available for you in the Apprentices section of this website.

How do I complete​ my apprenticeship or traineeship and is there a limit to how quickly I can complete?

All apprenticeships and traineeships are competency-based, which means that how quickly you complete would depend on your abilities and how soon your employer and training organisation are able to provide training and assessment in each of the competencies stated in your training plan. You can start the completion process once you have achieved all the competencies in your training plan. School-based trainees would also need to have worked a minimum required number of working days. More information on how to obtain your completion certificate can be found on the ATIS-009 Completing an apprenticeship or traineeship information sheet.

How can I get a copy of my completion certificate?

If you have misplaced your completion certificate (also known as trade certificate or indenture papers) and you completed your apprenticeship or traineeship in Queensland, you can apply for a replacement copy by using the Application for apprenticeship/traineeship records form. A charge for replacements will apply.

My employer won't le​​t me do my training. What should I do?

First, try to speak with your employer. Remind them that the training you are required to receive is detailed in your training plan. You should also discuss the matter with your training organisation (supervising registered training organisation). Show your employer the ATIS-013 Employer responsibilities information sheet​ which states that the employer must release the apprentice or trainee to attend training.

If the matter cannot be resolved, phone Apprenticeships Info ​on 1800 210 210 or by email at apprenticeshipsinfo@qld.gov.au.

My employer won't​ sign my training record.

Your training record is important as it records your progress and achievement of competencies as agreed to in the training plan in your apprenticeship or traineeship.

You should present your training record to your employer and training organisation at regular intervals, using the opportunity to discuss your progress, encourage feedback, and review the training plan to ensure your training is progressing at a satisfactory rate.

If your requests to update your training record are not met, you should discuss the matter with your training organisation in the first instance.

If the matter is not resolved, phone Apprenticeships Info on 1800 210 210 or by email at apprenticeshipsinfo@qld.gov.au.

My employer has just fired me. What should I do?

If your employer has just fired you, please phone your Australian Apprenticeship Support Network provider or Apprenticeships Info on 1800 210 210 to discuss the options that may be available to you.

If my apprentic​​eship or traineeship is cancelled, can I complete it with another employer?

You may recommence your apprenticeship or traineeship with another employer. You and your new employer will be required to sign a new training contract through an Australian Apprenticeship Support Network provider and you will be required to complete another probationary period with your new employer.

Your training record is yours to keep and may be used to show employers the training you have completed. It is important that your training record is up-to-date as its purpose is to record your progress and achievement of competencies in your apprenticeship or traineeship.

If your new training contract is for the same apprenticeship or traineeship, you may be granted credit for previous service or experience.

Credit for previous service in Queensland as a registered apprentice or trainee will be granted where the apprenticeship or traineeship calling nominated in the new training contract is aligned with the calling for which the apprentice or trainee was previously registered. Any 'time' credit allowed is applied to, and may reduce, the nominal term of the apprenticeship or traineeship. The department will determine the appropriate amount of 'time' credit.

Previous experience or service may also allow you to receive credit transfer and/or recognition of prior learning for the competencies achieved.

What happens if I mo​​​ve interstate during my apprenticeship or traineeship?

If you move to another state, your training contract can continue to be registered as a Queensland apprenticeship or traineeship, as long as your physical workplace address is still in Queensland. However, you will need to advise your Australian Apprenticeship Support Network provider and the department of your new home address.

If your move to another state also sees you move to an employer whose place of business is in that state, you will need to cancel your training contract in Queensland, enter into a new training contract and have that contract registered by the state's training authority.

You may also need to change training organisations, so make sure you receive a statement of attainment from your current training organisation outlining all of the competencies you have completed to date.

Read more about interstate apprentices and trainees​.

What is an extrac​​t of service?

An extract of service is an official document issued by state training authorities (in Queensland this is the Department of Employment, Small Business and Training). The document confirms the trade calling or traineeship occupation and the period(s) served under the training contract(s).

Apprentices or trainees can request an extract of service once a training contract is cancelled however, if you intend on recommencing your apprenticeship or traineeship in another state you may be required to provide appropriate documentation to the interstate training authority. A charge may apply.

For more information, phone Apprenticeships Info on 1800 210 210.

What should I d​​o if I am being treated unfairly at work?

As an apprentice or trainee, you should be treated the same as any other employee in your workplace. If you feel you are being treated unfairly, you should take action as soon as possible. This may be difficult, but will provide the best chance to work through the problem.

For further information, visit the Support services page​, or contact the Australian Apprenticeship Support Network provider for your training contract or phone Apprenticeships Info on 1800 210 210.

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0) (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/au/ )
Last updated
02 March 2018