Changing the registered training contract
Changing the registered training contract (PDF, 138KB)
Information to get started
Employers and apprentices or trainees have an obligation to advise their Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) provider or the Department of Employment, Small Business and Training of any changes to the training contract. The responsibilities of the employer, apprentice or trainee and training organisation, and the timeframe for notifying the AASN provider or the department depends on the type of change being made.
What changes can be made?
This is a change that does not alter the basis of the training contract, for example:
- the apprentice or trainee's name
- the employer's trading name
- correction of a typographical error in a party's name or address
- a party's address
- the qualification (as a result of the original qualification being superseded).
The person initiating the minor amendment may advise the other party to the training contract and their AASN provider or the department either verbally or in writing.
Change of supervising registered training organisation (SRTO)
If the employer and apprentice or trainee want to change their SRTO, the employer must give their current SRTO at least 14 days' notice in writing that they are to be replaced.
The SRTO must provide a statement of attainment to the apprentice or trainee that confirms the units of competency completed under the training plan up to the replacement date. The parties should also update the training record to reflect any training undertaken.
At least 14 days before the replacement becomes effective, the employer must provide written advice of the name of the new SRTO and the replacement date to their AASN provider or the department.
When the new training organisation agrees to become the replacement provider, they must meet all the responsibilities of an SRTO, including developing a new training plan and taking all reasonable steps to ensure it is signed within 28 days of the replacement date.
Changes that alter the basis of the training contract include:
- the start date of the apprenticeship or traineeship
- employment mode (e.g. full-time to part-time)
- change of qualification
- change of qualification level (e.g. Cert II to Cert III)
- date of birth where it impacts on legislated age restrictions
- change of employer's legal name and/or ABN.
The employer and apprentice or trainee must apply in writing to their AASN provider or the department for approval of these types of amendments. The training organisation must also support this application if the change affects the training plan.
The myApprenticeship self-service website allows apprentices and trainees to securely view details and initiate and complete various tasks, such as some amendments, relating to their apprenticeship or traineeship.
For further information
- The nominated AASN provider. Registered apprentices and trainees can view their AASN provider in their myApprenticeship account if they are unsure.
- Apprenticeships Info on 1800 210 210.