Part-time and multiple training contracts
Part-time and multiple training contracts (PDF, 138KB)
Part-time apprenticeships and traineeships
To be eligible for a part-time apprenticeship or traineeship the following criteria must be met:
- The apprentice or trainee's working hours (including supervised training) averages a minimum 15 hours per week* over each four week period for the length of the training contract.
- The apprentice or trainee has regular working hours and is rostered to work on a regular basis.
- The relevant industrial relations instrument permits part-time employment.
*Registration of part-time training contracts with fewer than 15 hours per week may be approved, but only where the apprentice or trainee has a disability and meets the criteria.
employees engaged on a casual or daily hire basis cannot
be approved to undertake an apprenticeship or traineeship.
The nominal term of a part-time apprenticeship or traineeship is double that of the full-time equivalent. E.g. an apprenticeship that has a nominal term of four years full-time will have a nominal term of eight years part-time.
A part-time training contract can be changed to a full-time training contract if the employer and apprentice or trainee agree. They must apply for approval of this change using the
ATF-035 Amendment of a registered training contract form.
Persons wishing to pursue a part-time apprenticeship in the electrotechnology field
must ensure that certain requirements are fulfilled before the training contract can be registered.
These requirements can be found against the chosen electrotechnology qualification on the
Queensland Training Information Service (QTIS) website.
Multiple training contracts
A number of possible scenarios involving multiple training contracts with the same or different employers exist. These possibilities may include:
- a part-time apprenticeship plus a part-time traineeship
- two part-time apprenticeships or traineeships
- a full-time apprenticeship plus a part-time traineeship or visa versa
- two school-based apprenticeships or traineeships.
If a registered apprentice or trainee who is currently employed applies to undertake a second apprenticeship or traineeship in the same occupation, care must be taken to ensure that the second training contract does not adversely affect the first.
Government contributions and multiple training contracts
Apprentices and trainees in certain qualifications may receive a government contribution towards the cost of their training. This is called User Choice funding.
important to note that an apprentice or trainee can only receive one government contribution for a User Choice-funded qualification at any single point in time. In circumstances where a person undertakes more than one apprenticeship or traineeship that would normally be funded by User Choice, at the same time, they will receive only the government contribution for the first training contract registered.
Training website to find out more about User Choice funding.
myApprenticeship self-service website allows apprentices and trainees to securely view details and initiate various tasks, such as change from part-time to full-time, relating to their apprenticeship or traineeship.
For further information
- The nominated Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) provider. Registered apprentices and trainees can view their AASN provider in their myApprenticeship account if they are unsure.
- Apprenticeships Info on 1800 210 210.