Certificate 3 Guarantee
The Certificate 3 Guarantee supports eligible individuals to complete their first post-school certificate III qualification. It also supports school students to access training and Queensland's Year 12 graduates to transition to employment by providing fee-free training in high priority qualifications.
What training is available?
The Certificate 3 Guarantee is targeted at certificate III qualifications because they are considered the entry-level qualification most often needed to gain employment in many industry sectors.
Foundation skills and lower level vocational qualifications may also be delivered based on the learning needs of the student. For more information, including other student cohorts who can access training, refer to the Certificate 3 Guarantee Program Policy below.
The full list of subsidised qualifications is available on the Priority Skills List.
How does the program work?
The list of registered training organisations (RTOs) approved to deliver each subsidised qualification is published on the
Queensland Skills Gateway.
Individuals are free to choose their preferred RTO from this list. The subsidy is paid directly to the RTO as training is delivered and reported to the department.
How can RTOs participate?
RTOs must be pre-approved by the department as a pre-qualified supplier (PQS) to deliver training and assessment services under the Certificate 3 Guarantee. Read more about
becoming a PQS.
What level of subsidy is available?
The investment priority or importance of the training influences the size of the government subsidy. Training in vocational areas that align with important economic and industry skills needs will receive a higher government subsidy. A higher subsidy will also be paid to support participation by disadvantaged learners (concessional students), and those undertaking training in identified country and remote locations.
The full list of subsidy levels for qualifications is available on the Priority Skills List.
Does the individual need to contribute to the cost of training?
Given the benefits that accrue to individuals from training, students undertaking certificate III training and non-concessional students undertaking lower level training, will be required to contribute to the costs of their training through a co-contribution fee.
The fee may be paid on behalf of the student by the employer or a third party unrelated to the PQS, but cannot be paid or waived by the PQS.
The amount of the fee is determined by the PQS.
What outcomes are expected?
PQS are measured on successful training completions and whether the training resulted in employment or career advancement.
Individuals need access to a range of information to ensure they make an informed choice about a subsidised training place. To support this, PQS must meet a number of performance standards if they wish to participate and maintain their PQS status for the program. Refer to the Pre-qualified Supplier Policy 2018-19 (PDF, 366KB or
DOCX, 303KB) and PQS Agreement (PDF, 613KB) for more information.
Registered training organisations interested in delivering services under the Certificate 3 Guarantee must read and abide by all conditions specified in the related policy documents for the program:
1. Certificate 3 Guarantee Program Policy 2018-19 (PDF, 245KB or
DOCX, 261KB) - effective 1 July 2018
2. Pre-qualified Supplier Policy 2018-19 (PDF, 366KB or DOCX, 303KB) - effective 1 July 2018
Program fact sheets
3. Certificate 3 Guarantee RTO fact sheet (PDF, 156KB or
4. Certificate 3 Guarantee student fact sheet (PDF, 240KB or
5. Certificate 3 Guarantee disadvantaged learners fact sheet (PDF, 162KB or DOCX, 153KB)
PQS fact sheets
6. Pre-qualified supplier marketing and disclosure directives fact sheet (PDF, 165KB or
DOCX, 162KB) - effective 1 July 2018
7. Student training and employment survey fact sheet (PDF, 176KB or
8. Student training and employment survey response template (XLSX, 126KB)
9. Pre-qualified supplier application fact sheet (PDF, 268KB or
Other PQS documents
10. VET Investment Programs - Pre-qualified supplier audit evidence requirements (v5.0, Jul 2018) (PDF, 1.4MB) – effective 2 July 2018
11. Industry proposal - Funding submission apprenticeships, traineeships and other qualifications (DOCX, 743KB)
12. Priority skills localities and location loadings list 2018-19 (XLSX, 204KB) - effective 1 July 2018
Historical program documents
Certificate 3 Guarantee program documents from previous financial years.
Frequently asked questions
For further information on the Certificate 3 Guarantee program, view the
frequently asked questions page.
Fee-free training for Year 12 graduates
Year 12 fee-free training is available through two Queensland Government VET investment programs - the Certificate 3 Guarantee and User Choice. Read more about
fee-free training in high priority areas for Year 12 graduates.