1. Send an email to register for the fund.
To register for the fund you need to email
WhatsNextOOHC@det.qld.gov.au providing your:
- first and last name
- contact phone number
- consent to share your contact details with the What's Next pathways officer who is employed by TAFE Queensland and the What's Next support officer who is employed by Life Without Barriers
- proof of eligibility.
To show you're eligible you can either attach a statement from your Child Safety Officer or support agency like CREATE or Next Step After Care confirming your eligibility, OR provide permission to DET to contact Child Safety to confirm your OOHC status. If you want us to confirm your eligibility, your email must state that you give permission for DET to contact Child Safety and you will need to provide your first name, last name, date of birth and gender as it would appear on your Child Safety record.
2. A What's Next pathways officer will be in touch - they will support you to find the right training.
You will be contacted within five working days by a What's Next pathways officer - if you're not there when they first contact you, they will try again. The pathways officer will work with you to identify your training options, develop your individual training options plan and identify registered training organisations (RTOs) that deliver the training. They can also link you to a career assessment. You can book a follow-up appointment if you want more advice and support before you make a decision.
The What's Next pathways officer will work with you to determine:
- whether there are any enrolment fees for your training (some programs are already fully subsidised and attract no student co-contribution)
- if there are additional costs associated with the training above the student co-contribution fee (e.g. uniforms, text books, equipment, occupational licensing, etc.)
- if there are any barriers that may prevent you gaining employment (e.g. industry restrictions).
You will get an email confirming the qualification you can enrol in and whether the fund will pay for any additional costs associated with the training. You will also get a letter to give to the RTO when you enrol.
3. Start your training!
Take your approval letter to the RTO and enrol in training. The approval letter will list the qualification approved for your enrolment and include instructions for the RTO about how to claim payment from DET.
If you have approval for other training-related expenses, the What's Next support officer at Life Without Barriers will work with you to purchase the approved items you need for training. They can also link you with other community and government support that may help you while you study.