1. Send an email to register for the fund.
To register for the fund you need to email
WhatsNextOOHC@det.qld.gov.au providing your first name, last name, age and postcode. You also need to give the Department of Education and Training (DET) permission to confirm your eligibility with Child Safety or provide proof of out-of-home care eligibility.
To establish your eligibiliy you can:
- Provide an email confirming your care experience from your Child Safety Officer or Child Safety Service Centre.
- Provide an email confirming your care experience from a support agency you have worked with (e.g. CREATE Foundation, Next Step After Care provider, Youth Advocacy Centre).
- Give us permission to confirm with Child Safety that you have been in out-of-home care in Queensland. If you choose this option your email must state that you give permission for DET to contact Child Safety and you will need to provide your first name, last name, date of birth and gender as it would appear on your Child Safety record.
2. A What's Next pathways officer will be in touch - they will support you to find the right training.
You will be contacted with five working days by a What's Next pathways officer - if you're not there when they first contact you, they will try again. The pathways officer will work with you to identify your training options, develop your individual training options plan and identify registered training organisations (RTOs) that deliver the training. They can also link you to a career assessment and follow-up debrief session if you want more advice and support before you make a decision.
The What's Next pathways officer will work with you to determine:
- whether your qualification of choice requires DET to organise a payment (some programs are already fully subsidised and attract no student co-contribution)
- if DET can provide financial assistance if there are additional costs associated with the training above the student co-contribution fee (e.g. uniforms, text books, equipment, occupational licensing, etc.)
- if there are any barriers that may prevent you gaining employment (e.g. industry restrictions).
Once there is approval for you to receive financial support from the fund you will be advised in writing about what qualification you can enrol in and whether the fund will pay any additional costs associated with the training. You will be provided with an approval letter to give to the RTO when you enrol.
3. Start your training!
Take your approval letter to the RTO and enrol in training. The approval letter will list the qualification approved for your enrolment and include instructions for the RTO about how to claim payment from DET.
If you have approval for other training-related expenses, you will need to email a copy of your confirmation of enrolment to Life Without Barriers via email WhatsNext@lwb.org.au. What's Next support will work with you to purchase the approved items you need for training. They can also link you with other community and government support that may assist you while you study.